Sunday, December 16, 2007

Christmas starts in C.R.

Got up today had breakfast with Maritza and Papi. The plan for the day was to go to Carmen's house, around 2, for a Christmas celebration. That is all Papi would say.

I read my book (Germs, Guns and Steel) for a hour or so then had a light lunch of rice and beans. Wasted more time by putting pictures on the laptop from the camera so Papi could send them out. Kati (friend of the family) came over so we all chatted for awhile and finally around 4:45 we left. "We leave at 2, be ready." Two plus hours later we really leave. Ahh, Pura Vida at it's best.

We hopped in a pirate taxi and headed to Carmen's. We got there and I meet Miranda, my step-sister-in-law (Fernando's wife), and Sofia her cute little girl. I've got so much family down here it's hard to keep them straight. We all ate tamales and eggs with tortillas. It was the first time I have ever eaten a tamale. It was good but I was not really impressed, a little bland for me.

I talked to Miranda found out what she did and how she meet Fernando. BTW she is American! She came here for 7 days to learn how to surf with one of her friends. While she was at Tamarindo, learning to surf, she meet Fer. She was on contract with NASA and waiting for it to renew so she decided to stay. They got married last October and had Sofia in July. She is very cool and quite nice. The whole family seems to like her too.

So around 7:30 I found out more about what was going on. The neighborhood families' get together and go to one house and sing. The song is about Mary and Joseph going from place to place looking for somewhere to stay. The families out side sing then we sang back. I really didn't understand much but it was very nice. After 7 verses they where let in and the whole group said a prayer and then went around ask if any one had anything to add. Papi asked everyone to pray that Ramon gets home safe. Then it was on to food and socializing.

Carmen made toast pizza, mini sandwiches and lime-aid. All very yummy snacks. The guys went out and played on the foosball table and most of the wifes went to the T.V. room and watched some dance show. The family hung out in the living room talked, drank and joked around. It's really nice just hanging out. I hate to say but it's easier to chat here in C.R. because I don't have to worry about what I am saying. No one will be offended by what is say and nothing is off limits.
After a few hours of good times, we headed home around 10:30. And I am now off to bed.

Tomorrow Papi and I will be working on getting me a new C.R. passport and another bank card. But who knows what will happen. I also asked for bacon with breakfast. My first bacon in 3 weeks! I can't believe it been that long. : }

No comments: