Saturday, December 29, 2007

Monkeys


I got sick. I didn’t feel well at all last night and woke up a few times. Around 7 Papi and Martiza left to put our names on the list. I decided that I was just going to lay around a have a temp for awhile and let my body do it’s think to fight off what ever I have gotten. I don’t know if they had breakfast without me or just didn’t have one. Papi did get me up to see the monkeys that I had been hearing the last few days.

After a few hours of suffering I decided to take some drug so we could all get on with our day. That was around noon. I got out of bed and went to the hammock while Maritza took a shower.

We all got in to the car and headed to Playa Tamarindo. The drive was nice but the beach was bad. There were TONS of people there and a lot of them were gringos. We had dinner at a cute restaurant right on the beach. I got watermelon juice (which was very yummy) and mai mai with tomato and ginger sauce.

We got back around 5:10 and by then I needed more drugs if I was going to make it to see the turtles. I took some and laid down in the hammock until we head out. We got there around 6 and there was a large group of people there already. After a bit we went in and signed out names in a book and got out numbers. (I was 47.) The whole group add up to 60 people. The group headed in to a little building and heard a small presentation on the leatherback. The 60 people split in half, 1- 30 and 31-60. The first group would go see one turtle and then the other would see the next one.

I don’t remember what time we head out to see “our” turtle but we had to drive a little. We got out of the car and headed to the beach thru some trees. It was very dark a little hard to see but I didn’t fall so that was good. There was a lot of wait but in the end we saw a leatherback. They are quite bit. Ours was not too happy with how dry the sand was, the dryer the sand the easyer the wash of the nest coallapes. She ened up moving three times to try to find the right place. While waiting I looked up at the stars. They are so nice here. Very little city glow so you can see thousands of then. She never found sand that she liked. Around 10:30 she said “Screw this, I am going back to the water. I’ll try again tomorrow.” Well at least that’s what she might have said if she could talk. We got back to the hotel and had a little snack. Now I am going to take my shower and hope that I feel better in the morning.

No comments: